Tuesday 9 May 2017

Generic Finasteride in Thailand - Firide

I have been using Finasteride for male pattern hair loss for close to two decades now and, to save money like many others on the drug, I have been buying Proscar a long time ago and then cutting in up into four pieces (I was on Avodart for a few years but stopped when I saw no significant inprovements + it was not available without a prescription in Thailand). 

Today, I visited my regular pharmacy and was told Proscar was out of stock. I then tried a pharmacy in the neighbourhood and, while they did not have Proscar, I was pleasantly surprised when the pharmacist whipped out a box of Firide instead. 

Firide is generic Proscar, made in Thailand. It is manufactured by Siam Pharmaceutical - it is apparently one of the top pharmaceutical companies in Thailand. Firide contains the same amount of the active ingredient, 5mg Finasteride, as Proscar but at a significantly lower cost.
Here is a cost comparison of the different options I have gone through over the years. 

Bought in Singapore:
Finasteride 1mg  (per box SGD 90, about THB 2250) 
Proscar 5mg        (per box SGD 120, about THB 3000)

Bought in Thailand:
Proscar 5mg        (per box THB 1300, about SGD 52)
Firide   5mg         (per box THB 950, about SGD 38)          

It is noteworthy that one box of Finasteride 1mg only lasts for 30 days while one box of Proscar/Firide lasts for three months (assuming you cut each tablet into four pieces). 

So, if you are on Firide, one month's supply of Finasteride will cost you only THB 950/3 = THB 317 or SGD 12.70 - much cheaper than in Singapore any day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment